June 12, 2009

Don't worry dad, We're staying at the Sheraton...

Hostel living: I’ve had many people ask me what a hostel is or if I’ve watched the movie hostel. I’ve decided staying in hostels is my favorite way to travel (well right now while I’m young and single!). It’s basically a huge dorm style room where each person gets a bed, nightstand, fan, and light. The bathrooms are also community, with each shower in a stall like room. My bed is only spaced to the next bed by my nightstand. People are constantly arriving and leaving daily. We’ve stayed at Octopus for 3 nights and I’ve had 2 different people next to me. For a young traveler, it’s a great set up. We are able to come in, throw our stuff down, and hit the beach. The only time we spend in our room is to sleep, so why pay for a full hotel room? It’s also been a great way to meet other young travelers. We are constantly getting an opportunity to go with another traveler to their next destination.

Hostels are seriously great, if you can find the right one.... Sarah and I had been nervous about staying in a hostel on the main island. We had heard some good, but mostly bad things about majority of the hostels around Nadi. We said screw it, we were ready for a hot shower and to be able to wash our faces.... we booked a room at the Sheraton Fiji. Gosh, we are great at this backbacking idea!!!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds really cool. I'm such a bad sleeper though! I'd probably never fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete