May 31, 2009

Busy Weekend

This has been a BUSY weekend! My weekend started on Thursday with a "roommate dinner date" with Amy. We have both been craving The Melting Pot and decided to do a roommate dinner before I left. We made reservations for Thursday night and had an amazing dinner! MMMM nothing beats some good wine, good fondue, and good conservation!


About a month ago, Amy called me up and asked me what I was doing on Friday, May 29th. Naturally, I had no plans that far in advance! She said "Good, I just signed us both us to volunteer!" We volunteered at the Red Shoe Shindig for the Ronald McDonald House Charities. The Red Shoe Shindig was held at the Hobbs building in Kansas City. From the website: "Slip on your red shoes and join us for an evening of fun with friends and make an impact on the lives of others. During the evening, you will have an opportunity to participate in the live auction, which promises to be exciting." There were several live auction items as well as numerous silent auction items. The signature live auction item was "Sponsor A Family", in which donors gave donations as high as $10,000. As people "bid" on this item (everyone "won"), we passed out balloons to the winners. The event was really fun and I'm looking forward to volunteering for future events!
Amy and I in our red high heels
Saturday was also a fun filled day! The day started with a few friends coming to the apartment in the morning. Around 2, we all walked to Liberty Memorial Park for Rockfest. Rockfest is the largest 1 day music festival in the US. This year the bands included Korn, Buckcherry, Saving Abel, Shinedown, Theory of a Deadman, Rev Theory, Corey Taylor, and many others on two stages. The concert lasted from 11 am to 11 pm. The concert was sold out within a week of tickets being on sale and there were approximately 50,000 people in attendance! I've attended my fair share of concerts, but this experience was totally different than the rest! I'm not going to lie, it got loud and rowdy at points!! It was a beautiful day and a great way to spend a sunny Saturday!

Creed and I enjoying the show

Roommates!!

Look at that crowd!

We were actually able to push our way up to almost the very front when Shinedown was playing

Officer Ben talking to me when I lost all my friends! And FYI, I asked for all those beads... I didn't earn any of them!!

My bruised, swollen, and cut ankle! I got caught in the middle of a mosh pit and came away ALMOST unhurt! :)

I spent Sunday afternoon doing one of my favorite summer activities: baseball!! The Royals were in town playing the White Sox this weekend and I wanted to be sure to catch another game before I left town for the summer. We got outfield seats this game and I love them! It's a total different place to sit and the view is still great! It was a beautiful day, perfect for catching some sun and some baseball!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Nikkie, how do you manage to fit so much in?
    Reading about your fun packed weekend has made me realise how much Im actually missing out on being out there instead of sitting at my computer working.
    Thanks for putting a smile on my face.
    Mia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey nikki!
    just tracked you down via 20sb and glad to be here :)

    i envy you for the terrific weekend, been ages i had mine!

    have a good day :)

    ReplyDelete