May 1, 2009

Starting Out

I feel like I'm the worst person at keeping in contact with friends and family. Life is busy for everyone and it's hard to sneak in a 5 minutes phone call sometimes. I've decided to start this blog as a way for my friends and family to keep up with me as I go through this adventure we call life.

Life has a funny way of opening new doors when old ones close. Just when you think your options are limited, something new is thrown at you that opens even more opportunities you didn't know existed. Let me update you on my life for the past 6 months:

Last October, I decided to go through recruiting season to see what jobs were available in Kansas City. I loved Dallas and had a job offer to return to McGladrey, but I still wanted to just see what else was out there. I was given the opportunity to do an internship for BKD in Kansas City. I decided to go on a whim and take the offer. It was different than my previous two internships because it was an actual busy season and I would be splitting my time between the tax and audit department. After doing a public audit internship, a private audit internship, and a public audit/tax internship.. I can feel confident that I want to work for a public accounting firm in their audit department!

I had been struggling with wedding plans for a few months. Every time I worked on anything wedding related, I would feel sick. I saw all the excitement my friends were going through as they planned their weddings and I realized I wasn't feeling the same way. I then started looking closer at our relationship. I realized I wasn't happy and that isn't what I wanted for life. I was content, but I wanted happiness. Mitch and I had gotten to this point where all we did was fight because we had hit a fork in the road, both wanting totally different things in life. Telling Mitch and returning the ring was probably the second hardest thing I've ever done, but it was something that needed to happen. I realize that I'm only 21, I have the time to go out and explore life to find out who I am and what I realy want in life. I was able to walk away with no emotion, which shows something in itself. I haven't talked to Mitch since he moved out of the house and on with his life. I do wish him the best in life and I'm confident he will find what he is looking for too. I feel that every failed relationship just helps you figure out what you want and don't want for a future relationship. I feel that the past 5.5 years has taught both Mitch and I valuable lessons that most people our age haven't had the chance to experience. Walking away after spending 5.5 years with someone is hard to do, but I've learned to not look back or regret any of it.

From that point on, I started looking at life a little different and was open to many other opportunities I would have previously ignored. Shortly after telling my friends and family I'd called the wedding off, my best friend from Indiana called with me a proposition. She told me to check my email in 30 minutes. I did and there was an email from her with a link to the study abroad program she had been accepted into for this summer. I kinda blew it off for a few days until she called me back and "nagged" me enough to apply. I did and was accepted. Australia is somewhere that I've always wanted to visit, so I decided "why not!?". Sarah and I will be leaving June 7th from LAX for Fiji. We will spend the next 4 days relaxing and island hopping. We will then fly to Brisbane, Australia where we will spend a day exploring before meeting up with the rest of our group. We will then all fly to Darwin, Australia where we will spend the next week. In Darwin, we will start class with a few different lectures. Class will only be from 9-1 every day, so we will have plenty of time to explore Darwin. From there, we will spend 3 days camping at Kakadu National Park, Australia's largest national park. Next, we depart for Canberra, Australia where we will visit several Southeast Asian countries embassies over the course of the 3 days we are there. We will then take a 3 hour bus ride to Sydney, where we will be spending the bulk of our time. Over the course of the next 3 weeks, we will have class that consists of a combination of lectures and field trips. Class is only 3 hours a day for 4 days a week, which leaves plenty of time to travel and explore. Sarah and I booked another side trip in the form of a long weekend in New Zealand while we are in Sydney. We depart Sydney to spend the last week of our trip in Caines, Australia. We will have a short lecture, quick "finals", and then spend the remaining 3 days on the Great Barrier Reef snorkling and relaxing. A few optional "social and cultural activities" Sarah and I have booked include skydiving in Caines, surfing lessons in Sydney, and a wine tour departing from Sydney. All in all, this should be a pretty amazing summer!! Oh, the class we are "enrolled" in is through the University of New South Wales: Banking and Finance Department. We will be studying International Business focusing on Australia and South East Asia.

I've decided I'm ready to be "back" in the city. I grew up moving from city to city and I've really missed being in the midst of everything. Living in a small town to finish high school was probably a great thing for me at the time, but I'm ready for more again. I officially listed my house in Maryville on March 15th. I've been pleased with the number of showings, but the right person hasn't come along. It's priced right and in a good location, but it's lacking the 3rd bedroom everyone seems to be looking for. I have faith that it will sell when the time is right. I'm currently in the process of moving to an apartment just south of downtown Kansas City. For anyone familiar with Kansas City, I am living in the Union Hill district. I have a 2 bedroom apartment with a girl I met while working at BKD. Amy and I are very similar and always have a good time together. I'm excited about the next year! I'm sure there will be plenty of postings about the adventures Amy and I get ourselves into!

I've also decided to go back to school. I'll be starting my Master's of Accountancy at University of Missouri- Kansas City in August. I'm not looking forward to another year of school, but I know now is the perfect time to do it.

My life is 100% different than it was 6 months ago, but I'm okay with that. I'm doing great and loving life again. I keep thinking I will eventually have to slow down, but for now I'm enjoying running around and staying busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment