May 3, 2009

Successfully Moved!

Amy and I have officially moved into our new apartment!! I love everything about the new place! I can't complain about the location or the actual apartment itself. We are on the top floor, corner apartment with our balcony facing downtown. The layout is perfect for two people to live in. My room is on one side of the apartment and Amy's is on the other, with the living room and kitchen splitting them. I went to Maryville today to get my bed and other bigger items. It felt so great to sink into my bed for the first time since February! I had just left my bed in Maryville and have been sleeping on my roommate's couch! Needless to say, I don't think I'm going to get out of my bed for days! I purchased all new bedroom and bathroom stuff, so that adds to the excitement of the new place.

Since my internship ended (April 15th), I've been doing quite a bit of travelling. The first trip I took was to Indiana to visit Sarah for the weekend. I needed a break from life and wanted to go hang out my old high school friends to blow off steam. Sarah picked me up on Thursday and we headed to Bloomington (She is a junior at Indiana University). We bummed around on Thursday and hung out with some of my old friends, many which I hadn't seen for years! We had another lazy day on Friday, getting pedicures and having lunch with my grandma. Saturday was the big day. I asked Sarah to run the Indianapolis Race for the Cure 5k with me this year. We both walked it the year mom passed away and I wanted it to by my first 5k I ran. I was worried about my time because I hadn't been able to keep up with running at the end of busy season (tax).


Sarah and I pre-race

Sarah, her dad (Mike), and I

I wanted to at least run it in under 35 minutes. I accomplished this goal, running the entire way in 33 minutes and 28 seconds. I had a mind blowing experience before the race started that had me crying the whole first mile until I finally composed myself. Sarah, her dad, and I were all lined up at the start line with 5 minutes before race time. I was wearing a "I race in memory of.." sign for my mom on my back.

As we were standing there, an older man tapped me on the shoulder. As I turned around, he asked me if my mother was Lt. Col. Jill Hamilton and I responded that she indeed was. He proceeded to tell me that I was a spitting image of her and that's part of why he noticed me. He told me he had served under my mom for years in the Air Force and was honored to do so. The next bit of information had goose bumps on my arms and the tears flowing. He told me he, along with others, were deployed when they received the news of mom's passing and it impacted them all greatly. The year following their return to Indianapolis, 150 active and reserve military personnel formed a team and raced in honor of my mom. I had never knew any of this before, but I found it out 6 years later from a stranger that I never thought to ask his name.


Sarah and I post-race

To add to this amazing story, the Indianapolis Race for the Cure is the nation's 3rd largest, with 42,000 people registered to walk or run this year. It was great to know she has not been forgotten by so many people!! I think about her every day and it was touching to know others do to. I've been saying for years that I wanted to get a tattoo in her honor. I didn't have a tattoo and was terrified of needles. Sarah designed the tattoo I got later that afternoon!



The tattoo is a heart with the breast cancer ribbon. Around the heart are the words "Celebrate" and "Remember". The saying was "Celebrate the survivors, Remember those we've lost". Inside the heart is the date 1-27-03, the date mom passed away. On the side of the ribbon are mom's initials "JAH". I absolutely love the tattoo and it really adds to it that Sarah did the actual design. I've known Sarah since I was in 3rd grade. We went to different elementary schools, but attended GT together. We were in the same middle and high schools. She is a great friend and was right by my side through all of mom's illness and passing. She is the Indiana friend I've stayed closest with. We try to meet up whenever I get out to Indiana (usually 2-3 times a year) and she even spent one spring break with me in Missouri. She also visited when I was in Dallas for the summer 2 years ago. We've had some GREAT times together that has gotten both of us in some "trouble", but they are great memories to look back on. I'm really looking forward to spending the summer with her!!

1 comment:

  1. ilove how dedicated you are to this cause!
    it has inspired me to do so much more,for my mother is currently struggling with this disease,your tattoo is beautiful and i plan on getting one very similar

    ReplyDelete