May 26, 2009

I've discovered a hidden talent...

One of my favorite places to be in the US is Huntington Beach, California. It just feels like home when I go out there (maybe because I was born there...?). It's an fast and easy flight out there and since I have a sister that still lives there, I am able to make the trip pretty frequent. I decided to spend a 5 day "weekend" out there for Memorial Day. I flew in on Friday and spent the afternoon with my sister. She picked me up from the airport and we grabbed a quick lunch before heading back to her office. I hung out at her office and studied for my GMAT until she was ready to go. I went to dinner on Friday night at a place on the beach next to the HB pier. On Saturday, my sister and I went to Old Navy for $1 flip flops before grabbing breakfast at the "famous" Sunny's. I couldn't resist texting my brother Casey to rub it in that Stacy and I were enjoying a Sunny's omelet and mimosas! On Saturday afternoon, I went to Newport Beach and enjoyed some day drinking at a few bars on the beach.


Me on the beach in Newport.


We went to a friend of Stacy and Brian's on Saturday night to grill out and watch the UFC fight.


My sister and I at Mike's house.

On Sunday, Jessica (my niece), Stacy, and I went to downtown Huntington Beach to do a little shopping. We came back to their house and soaked up some sun in their backyard. On Monday, we all woke up early, packed up a cooler and blankets and headed to the beach. I asked Brian (brother in law) if he would teach me a little bit about surfing. Sarah and I want to take surfing lessons in Sydney and I was bound and determined I was going to catch a wave while in Australia. The weather was a little cloudy and "cold" on Monday morning when we got to the beach. By afternoon, it was sunny and hot again. Right before we packed it up, Jessica and I headed into the water armed with a surf board. GUESS WHO STOOD UP ON THE FIRST WAVE!?! Yup... I'm pretty sure I'm a natural. Maybe it has something to do with being born in a hospital across the street from the beach!? Jessica just explained to paddle when I saw a wave coming and jump up with I thought I was "on the wave". Stacy was actually on the phone with my dad when I was in the water and started freaking out that I was surfing on my first try. My dad has decided he might lose his other daughter to beautiful Southern California...

Ethan soaking up some sun


I look like a pro carrying my board right?
YES!!! I CAUGHT A WAVE!!
That dreaded GMAT prep book goes everywhere with me... even the beach!

On Monday night, we went to Spaghetti Bender.. one of my favorite old memories of California. I have so many memories of eating there!


Jessica and I outside Spaghetti Bender

Overall, it was another great weekend filled with the beach, the sun, shopping, eating at all my favorite places, and time with my family. I'm getting pretty used to this California lifestyle! It was nice telling my sister "See you in 11 days" instead of "goodbye!". We are flying out to spend a day and half before our flight to Fiji. I'm SUPER excited to share one of my favorite domestic beach towns!


The ending of a great weekend.. GMAT prep book and mimosas on the flight home!

No comments:

Post a Comment